Monday, March 12, 2007

Hello World

So this is my very first post. Don't know exactly what this blog is going to morph into, but I've been wanting to capture not only some of the small yet huge achievements of my 18-month-old daughter, as well as balancing my life as a working mom for a large organization in Toronto.

I've recently left my job at a medium-sized interactive agency. I was only there a year. I didn't want to go; I just felt that I had to. I was working in a director-level role in this very fast-paced, growing company. When I joined, the company's Toronto location was only 8 months old. Ten months later, the office represented 20% of its total sales. Yup, it was nuts.

I went into my job fully thinking that I could keep my priorities straight. The only thing I'd have to do was "manage expectations" upfront about when I would be coming and going. "Set boundaries" of when to call it a night. And it worked for a bit. But as my job got more and more demanding, I found that my work performance was suffering and I was still rushing home just to barely tuck my little girl into bed.

So no one was winning.

Anyway, I decided to leave that place in search of a challenging job that would still let me be a mom. Today, I'm signing on the dotted line for a new role. I'm starting in two weeks. I'm optimistic that this will be the one.

No comments: