Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Breech Baby?

Audrey was a Frank breech baby. The details on the timing are fuzzy, but I think at about 28 weeks, my midwife started to notice that Audrey was head up. At about 32 weeks, my midwife sent me for an ultra sound to confirm. There Audrey was, a perfect V, bum straight down and her head up.

I became fixated with not having a c-section. I devoured every article on the subject since I wanted to inform and prepare myself. I also researched every way to try to get her to turn - and I tried almost each and every one of them. From lying down inverted, to burning moxibustion sticks beside my pinky toe, going to the pool, the Webster technique, acupuncture, meditation, and an ECV.

As the weeks passed, I could feel her hard head growing larger on my right side, just under my ribs. She wouldn't budge. I became increasingly alarmed and bummed out by the idea of having a cesarean. And it went on like that for about four or five weeks.

Now, at 29 weeks, I can sometimes feel that familiar hard lump emerging in the exact same spot. Unmistakable. But unlike Audrey, this one shifts and moves, so it's a good sign.

No comments: