Friday, September 7, 2007

Toddler vs. Teen

I was talking with some co-workers today about the similarities between teens and toddlers. Both are really hormonal and are exploring independance. Audrey frequently challenges my opinion on things and insists on doing things her own way.

I can't blame her really. It must be incredibly frustrating to be a toddler.

Toddlers have no concept of days of the week. So on Saturday, she might get up, have breakfast and watch an episode of her beloved Dora the Explorer. Sunday - the same. But come Monday, she will happily eat her cereal, excitedly set her spoon down, march to the top of the stairs and pronounce "Dora now?" Well, it would be terribly random of me to say no. I can see how it would be unfair.

Same thing for diapers. When we go out on the weekends, we put her in the pull ups that are slightly less absorbant than the regular ones. She prefers the pull ups - I think she finds them more comfortable, and likes the pictures of the Disney "princesses" (yes, she can point out the Little Mermaid). So when we put her in regular diapers before bed time, well, that must seem pretty random too.

Every morning is a battle of wills with changing her out of her PJs. Finally, I ask her in my very serious quiet calm voice to co-operate, and that seems to get her to give in. It's about her asserting her independance.

Someone asked me today if she was going through the terrible twos. I have to honestly say no or at least, not yet. But I wonder if she isn't going through it because I'm just not seeing it that way. It's been incredibly helpful to see the world through her eyes and has given me tremendous patience in some of the most frustrating situations.

I have no idea if it's at all similar with teens or how I'll cope when that comes. I guess I'll just have to find out.

No comments: