Sunday, September 2, 2007

Attachment Parenting

I could say a lot about the subject of attachment parenting and probably will here and in future posts. I thought I'd list my biases here, clear as day (or not), so you could see what slant all my posts are written with.

I actually think of myself right in the middle and have adopted or considered adopting practices from both sides - although I'm not entirely sure what you'd call the opposite of attachment parenting.

Some things that I've done that are considered to be attachment parenting:
  • Co-slept with my daughter (although not full time)
  • Breast fed, and tried damn hard to continue to do so as long as possible, even though I had enough crying bouts about it in the beginning and even though I went back to work part time when Audrey was seven months old.
  • Breast fed within 30 minutes of her being born. A challenge considering I was having a c-section.
  • Had her lie on my chest all icky and vernixy soon after she was born - even though I was having a c-section.
Some things that would be considered the exact opposite of attachment parenting:
  • Fed on a timed but flexible schedule (not on demand). I followed the Baby Whisperer's advice on this one.
  • Employed the Ferber method of cry-it-out to help her learn how to go to sleep - albeit after months of my other methods not working and only after she was a year old.
  • Had her sleeping in her crib early on and as much as possible.
As I write this list, I'm struck by how hard it is to come up with the non-attachment things, although the ones on my list seem like definite attachment parent no-nos.

I'll add to this list as time passes....

No comments: