Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ravelry

Having kids has re-awakened my love of knitting. I learned how to knit when I was about seven years old and burned myself out after knitting a sleeveless, shapeless sweater for myself. I had cast-off so tightly that I could barely get my little arms through the armholes.

When I was about 18, I picked up the knitting spirit again when I met Jesse and thought I should create the obligatory boyfriend sweater. I knit the thing way too loose and long, so it really should fit a guy who is about a foot taller and about 100 pounds heavier. Bless him, he still has it tucked away in the back corner of his closet (albeit with some shaming after he asked me if he should donate it to Goodwill).

Then in my early twenties, I decided that I would knit "more seriously". Using the same pattern for Jesse's sweater, I made a new and improved sweater for my sister. By then, I found out how to control the tension on the yarn. I also made my mom a cabled cardigan for her birthday.

And then my knitting laid dormant until I was pregnant with Audrey. By the time she was born, I had knit her a baby blanket and two sweaters. I went on to knit her another hooded sweater.

At six months old, Grace has one sweater and I'm working on another for when she turns one.

In this new era of knitting, I've come across this great knitting site: www.ravelry.com. It's still in beta, but it takes only a few days to get your invite to join. Awesome site. I'm obsessed in finding other examples of projects that use the yarn that I'm using.

No comments: