Monday, August 27, 2007

Daycare Birthday Parties

Audrey had her "official" second birthday party on Saturday. We had a small family-only party. Ok, not totally family only - one of Jesse's cousins brought a friend from Africa who's going to school in Whitby on a full scholarship. I can now say that I've met someone who's killed a lion and that he's eaten burgers at my house.

I was feeling kind of guilty for not organizing something for Audrey's daycare classmates on Friday. And a little bit guilty for not organizing a kids party - I just have not kept up on my mommy-group socializing to build out my toddler network (maybe this is an idea for LinkedIn?). And I just couldn't get cakes or - God forbid - cupcakes together. So I found myself baking chocolate chip cookies at 10pm last night.

But then today, when I dropped off my offering of back-of-the-Chippits-bag-recipe cookies and birthday hats, one of the care workers asked me if I'd be joining them for snack in the afternoon. Again, guilt.

No balloons. No cupcakes. No cake. And no mommy snapping photos and singing happy birthday.

But what can I say - I'm figuring all the birthday etiquette out. To date, I've still not found an article or book that describes the toddler-party rules. There have been other toddlers, obviously, who have had birthdays at the daycare. Audrey has been on the receiving end of notes advising us of the contents of homemade recipes. And loot bags stuffed with Dora stickers and other dollar store finds. Somewhat related, I heard of a girl who recently "graduated" from the toddler program to go to the preschool program. Her mom wanted to take a class photo and for that, I signed a waiver.

I can't see myself doing any of that. Ever. It's just not in me (although I should never say never). But I still can't help feeling like I should be doing more.

Does that make me a bad mom? Do I need to find the inner Martha Stewart in me and figure out how to sew Halloween costumes and make sugar cookies at Christmas?

God, I hope not.

No comments: