Sunday, August 26, 2007

One on the way

So, I've decided to take a different angle with this blog. When I started it, I had just left a job that I found extremely demanding and stressful and that made me constantly need to choose between being a mom and wife and succeeding in my career. The multi-tasker side of me thought that I could juggle everything. But in that job, I realized that I needed to refocus my priorities - I wasn't able to be the mom and wife I wanted to be without the quality of my work suffering.

If you had asked me then if it was possible to balance a demanding job and family life, I would have no. At the time, it seemed like an impossibility. And in that situation, it was.

And so I made a really tough decision and decided to leave my job in search of a new one. In retrospect, it was the best thing I ever did. Sure I'm still in the honeymoon period of my new job, but so far, it's proving to fit much better in my life.

Shortly after I started my job, we found out that we were expecting our second baby. It came as a surprise to us and I have to admit I wrestled with how to tell the world. Let's face it: announcing that you're pregnant after being in a new job for only six weeks is far from ideal. I was truly torn. On one hand, I was overjoyed that my little Audrey would have company. On the other, I was dreading telling my co-workers.

Anyway, in the end it all turned out ok - so great, in fact, that there really has been no drama to pen here. Nothing really insightful about being a working mom to log. So I'm changing the theme.

I've found very little resources about how to manage having a second baby. I want to know what strollers to buy and if it makes sense to buy a double when I think Audrey won't be needing a stroller for that much longer. I want to know if how people deal with a baby crying in all hours while trying to make sure that the toddler down the hall stays asleep.

So here I am.

No comments: